Re: [Eshell patch] Visual subcommands and options

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: [Eshell patch] Visual subcommands and options
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 09:41:40 +1200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> eshell shows the output of commands in `eshell-visual-commands' in a
> term buffer.  Those are typically interactive commands that show their
> results in a pager or other interactive facility.  Typical commands like
> that are top, less, more, etc.
>
> However, until now you could only say "this command is visual".  But
> there are many commands I use regularly that usually are not visual
> except when they are called with some special option or subcommand.
> Typical examples are several VCS commands such as "git log", "git show",
> "git diff", or "hg log" which show their output with a pager by default
> and thus are then visual in eshell's sense.
>
> This patch adds two new defcustoms `eshell-visual-subcommands' and
> `eshell-visual-options' that lets you also specifiy commands with
> certain subcommands and options that make them visual.
>
> Any objections to installing this patch?

Sounds good.  I wouldn't use this myself, since I just set the PAGER
environment variable to "cat", so the output is just dumped to the
*eshell* buffer, but I would use this if any programs go into an ncurses
mode only for some subcommands.  I don't have anything against this
being added, though, so go ahead! :) (And the patch looks sane enough.)

--Aidan