Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 12:04:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> A few days ago I succesfully built Emacs on Windows using the MSYS build
>> with `make -j4'. Since, I updated MSYS to the latest package versions
>> available through mingw-get and updated Emacs sources too.
>>
>> Now, `make -j4' hangs.
>
> GNU Make 3.81 that is part of the official MSYS distribution does not
> support parallel execution.  That is what you are experiencing.

Before upgrading my MSYS install I did a parallel make and it worked (I
remember because noticed how the built took a fraction of the usual
time.) Maybe the upgrade messed things up.

> nt/INSTALL.MSYS says:
>
>   If/when you are confident in your MinGW/MSYS installation, and want
>   to speed up the builds, we recommend installing a pre-release
>   version of Make from here:
>

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/external-binary-packages/
>
>   These are snapshot builds of many packages, but you only need
>   make.exe from there.  The advantage of this make.exe is that it
>   supports parallel builds, so you can use "make -j N" to considerably
>   speed up your builds
>
> This describes the version of Make I use, which identifies itself as
> 3.82.90, and it does support parallel jobs.

It also hangs here, both with Emacs and with an unrelated project. Maybe
the problem is MSYS.

address@hidden /d/dev/emacs/autoconf
$ time make -j 4 bootstrap

[...]

rm -f *.tab.c
Makefile:847: recipe for target `bootstrap-clean' failed
make: *** [bootstrap-clean] Error 1
make: INTERNAL: Exiting with 1 jobserver tokens available; should be 4!

real    8m26.837s
user    2m43.179s
sys     2m53.622s

address@hidden /d/dev/emacs/autoconf