Re: [Eshell patch] Visual subcommands and options

From: Aidan Gauland
Subject: Re: [Eshell patch] Visual subcommands and options
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 12:11:26 +1200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> If the output is large as with "git/bzr log", you have wait until it's
> all there before starting to, say, search.  And since the most recent
> commits are on top of the output, I prefer starting there than below the
> initial commit.

Oh yeah, good point.  I should see if there's some other way that's
non-blocking.  Maybe there's a value for PAGER that tells the programs
to just dump to stdout.

> Well, but your approach has the benefit that you can use standard emacs
> commands whereas I have to fiddle with what the pager provides.  Hm, is
> there something that lets me do isearch in a term buffer and gives me a
> point so that I can copy and yank?  Currently, I'm mousing my way
> there...

You can use C-c C-j to switch to normal Emacs line-oriented mode (called
term-line-mode, which is not actually a mode), and C-c C-k to switch
back to terminal mode.  You still have to use the pager to scroll and
search, though.

> Great, thanks.  Installed as revno 112822.

Thanks for the contribution!

--Aidan