Re: [Eshell patch] Visual subcommands and options

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [Eshell patch] Visual subcommands and options
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 09:15:29 +0200

Aidan Gauland <address@hidden> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If the output is large as with "git/bzr log", you have wait until
>> it's all there before starting to, say, search.  And since the most
>> recent commits are on top of the output, I prefer starting there than
>> below the initial commit.
>
> Oh yeah, good point.  I should see if there's some other way that's
> non-blocking.  Maybe there's a value for PAGER that tells the programs
> to just dump to stdout.

On a related note: I just found another problem.  When you redirect the
output of a visual command, the redirection is completely ignored.  For
example, in bash or zsh

  $ less file.txt > foo.txt

(although a bit contrieved) copies the contents of file.txt to foo.txt.
In eshell, it just shows file.txt in a term buffer, and foo.txt isn't
created or touched at all.

A more realistic example is

  $ git diff > foo.patch

where I've configured "git diff" as visual command.

So eshell should ignore a command's "visuality" if its output is
redirected.

Bye,
Tassilo