Re: EIEIO with lexical scoping

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: EIEIO with lexical scoping
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 17:23:45 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> For instance, I had to change registry.el in Gnus, which for some
>> reason had all 'defmethod' calls wrapped in 'eval-and-compile', which
>> does not compile anymore. I don't know why, though; you probably
>> do. ;-)
>
> I don't either, actually.

Well, is this something which needs fixing?

> In a some related vein.  I remember discussions to take EIEIO out of
> CEDET, (i.e. use Emacs's built-in eieio for recent Emacsen, and
> distribute a separate eieio package for people who want to use CEDET on
> older Emacsen).
>
> I'd welcome such a move.  IOW for me, the earlier the better.

I think now would be a good time, but Eric should say if he's OK with
that. Since we bumped the minimum supported version for CEDET to 23.2,
we wouldn't have to ship EIEIO at all.

The only thing that's missing in Emacs is the EIEIO test suite, but I
can fix that.

-David