Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Posix build on Windows: parallel `make' broken
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 17:47:40 +0200

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> I guess we shouldn't advise that people use Windows style file names
> in the configure command, as it causes subtle bugs.  Will update
> INSTALL.MSYS accordingly.

Seems reasonable.

A few comments about INSTALL.MSYS:

- It says that GTK includes PNG, JPEG and TIFF libraries. PNG is in
its own standalone package, but in a not-exhaustive check, I didn't
find JPEG and TIFF libraries here. Perhaps a pointer could be useful.

- The example invocation of msysconfig.sh says:

    CPPFLAGS='-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1' CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./nt/msysconfig.sh
--prefix=PREFIX --enable-checking

  but I suppose -DGLYPH_DEBUG=1 shouldn't be required if using
--enable-checking=yes,glyphs, should it?

- You mentioned in a thread that the way to make a binary tarball is
to use "make install prefix=SOMEWHERE" and then create a tar archive
from SOMEWHERE. That should be mentioned, I think; also, that
procedure does not copy libXpm.dll (which the configure.bat based
build method could do by using --distfiles), so that should be noted
too.

- There's now a --with-file-notification=w32 option that isn't on by
default. Perhaps worth mentioning?

> Do you have EMACSLOADPATH set in the environment or something?

Aha. No, I don't have EMACSLOADPATH in the environment, but yesterday
I did a "make install" of some older release and it added
EMACSLOADPATH (and friends) to the registry. Removing these makes the
warning disappear.

   Juanma