Emacs 24.3 wrong default face font in new frames

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Emacs 24.3 wrong default face font in new frames
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 13:35:33 -0400

The current in-development versions of Debian and Ubuntu recently got updated
to Emacs 24.3 from 24.2.  This broke one of my very long-standing
customizations.

It's entirely possible that I'm doing something stupid in my .emacs files, but
maybe it's a known bug.  I can certainly fix my own code in the former case,
but if it's the latter, and there's a fix available in Emacs vcs, I'll cherry
pick a patch for those two distros.

Specifically, I set a font for the default face and it shows up fine in the
initial frame for both 24.2 and 24.3.  It also shows up fine in new frame
(C-x 5 2) but *only* for 24.2.  In 24.3, I get the wrong font.

Here are some code excerpts.  My default face is customized:

(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background "Grey27" :foreground
"LightCyan" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil
:underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 115 :width normal :foundry
"unknown" :family "Monospace"))))

But I also set it in (essentially) my .emacs file:

  (set-face-attribute 'default nil
                      :family "Ubuntu Mono"
                      :height 120)

In the initial frame with both Emacsen, and on new frames in 24.2, my default
face is indeed Ubuntu Mono, as shown by C-u C-x =

    xft:-unknown-Ubuntu Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
(#x2C)

In new frames on 24.3 however, the font is wrong:

    xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x2C)

What's going on?  Is it me or is it Emacs? ;)

Cheers,
-Barry