Re: using glyphs by default in perl-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: using glyphs by default in perl-mode
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 13:20:28 -0400

> It's easy to do this once you start doing it but it still feels like
> an annoying amount of work.

We definitely need to add some helper functions to make it easier.
The major modes should really only need to do

  (setq-local prog-prettify-symbols-alist <blabla>)

and then

  (prog-prettify-setup-font-lock)

but we'll figure that out later.

> I couldn't move the code to prog-mode.el.

Fine.

> The emacs-lisp-mode include needs the prog-mode map and barfed all
> over.  Sorry.  But it should be OK otherwise.

prog-mode.el needs to be preloaded (i.e. added to loadup.el), indeed.

> +;; used to add font-lock keywords dynamically

Please capitalize and punctuate your comments.

> +(defconst lisp--prettify-symbols-alist
> +  `(("lambda"  . ,(make-char 'greek-iso8859-7 107))))

We'd probably want to refine it so it's only prettified when it comes
right after a parenthesis, but it's OK for now.  OTOH using make-char
here is a bad idea: better just put the Unicode char in there (this
make-char seems to be copied from old pre-Unicode code) either as ?λ
or as ?\u03BB.

> +    ("bundle agent" . ?⊕)
> +    ("bundle server" . ?∑)
> +    ("bundle" . ?𝛽)))