Re: using glyphs by default in perl-mode

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: using glyphs by default in perl-mode
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 13:58:36 -0400

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 19:42:39 +0200 address@hidden wrote:

j> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> Of course.  I was thinking of a dynamically produced glyph that scales
>> down to the text size.  I think SVG can do something like that, scaling
>> gracefully.  If you want a bigger image, you increase the font size!
>>
>> Currently images don't respect the text size which makes them mostly
>> unusable in serious editing.

j> Do you have an idea what the interface would look like?

j> Since I worked on the ImageMagick support I'm interested in this.

My idea doesn't make the current image support useless.  It's a
convenience for when you want images to behave like text, not like a
text property.

>From the developer's side it should simply be a call like (make-char)
that produces a character outside the Unicode range.  Maybe later
ImageMagick effects can be stacked on top, but for now just the image
would be enough.

When Emacs paints the glyph for that character, it should draw a scaled
image (stored in a lookup table) to the font size, instead of trying to
find the character in the current font.  So it's like a on-the-fly font,
I guess.

Ted