Re: mailing list archives

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 18:26:06 +0900

Xue Fuqiao writes:
 > On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
 > >
 > > It's just how Mailman archives work, and no, no-one here can do
 > > anything about it.
 >
 > Agreed.  I'm not familiar with Mailman, but I think this topic should be
 > discussed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman

Please, don't waste our time and yours; the bug will just be closed
wontfix.  The issues with the stock archiver Pipermail are well-known,
there are plenty of good alternatives if you can't live with them now
(it's easy to hook up MHonArc, mail-archive.com, or gmane), and
Pipermail is end-of-life[1] (as is all of Mailman 2).  Only security
and easy-fix issues go into Mailman 2 nowadays.  Threading in
Pipermail is neither.

Mailman 3 will have a completely different stock archive manager (in
fact, a separate project currently called HyperKitty).  We haven't yet
decided if it will be bundled, but I think probably it will be.

For more info (don't ask me, it's not my baby):
    https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/
    https://hyperkitty.readthedocs.org/
    https://github.com/hyperkitty

Footnotes:
[1]  As much as any free software can be EOLed, of course.