Debugging with gdb-mi

From: Daimrod
Subject: Debugging with gdb-mi
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:22:25 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to learn how to use GDB within Emacs but I haven't found a
way to suspend the process ran by GDB to inspect its status.

In a graphical terminal emulator, one can suspend the program being
debugged with C-z, inspect it, and then resume the execution with 'fg'
or 'c'.

However, I couldn't do with the GDB started from Emacs (M-x gdb). C-c
C-z, bound to `comint-stop-subjob' doesn't work, it prints C-c C-z
without suspending the process, though C-c C-c does interrupt the
process.

I've tried:
- to send the signal SIGSTOP to GDB but obviously it stops GDB not the
  program being debugged.
- to send "C-z" directly to GDB with (process-send-string proc (kbd "C-z")).
  It didn't work though it worked with C-c.

ATM I use proced to send SIGSTOP to the program and then SIGCONT but
that's not very convenient.

Did I miss something or is this a bug/limitation of gdb-mi.el?

Regards,
--
Daimrod/Greg