Re: Some more eshell problems

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Some more eshell problems
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 18:25:21 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:

>> Ah, ok, that's also possible.  But still it would be nice to have
>> something to suppress all "magic" like visual commands.  For example,
>> I'm very happy with my visual customization of "git log" and friends,
>> but then it would allow me to work around the
>> visual-while-redirection bug.  Maybe the prefix ** would make sense.
>
> If an `eshell/top' function exists, it will be used when using top,
> otherwise, top and *top will be the same.

Yes, that's what Aidan said, and it's fine with me.  I just would like
to have something similar that also removes a commands "visuality",
i.e., so that `top` isn't shown in a term buffer but simply dumped
although it's in `eshell-visual-commands'.

> Look into /dev/pts you will see the corresponding pts for eshell is
> ephemeral (start-process), it is IMO the one that is "killed by signal 1"
> when command exit.
> You don't have the same in bash/zsh terminal because it exists in
> /dev/pts.
> It is why we have to type password at every sudo command, the pts can't
> be registered.
>
> It is my understanding, maybe I am wrong, correct me if so.

You might be correct, but then I don't understand why I get that only
with bzr commands but not with git, hg, or any other commands I've used
so far from eshell.

Bye,
Tassilo