Re: Some comments on the MSYS-based build

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Some comments on the MSYS-based build
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 22:51:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Then we shouldn't tell them to use it for installing, either.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because they will then use it for updating as well.

We can mention the restriction on INSTALL.MSYS and hopefully the MinGW
guys will modify the installer for disallowing updates. Furthermore,
nothing terrible happens if you accidentally reuse mingw-get-inst: just
wipe all the MinGW directory and reinstall.

mingw-get-inst makes installing mingw+msys a breeze. It is a waste to
not take advantage from it.

BTW, mingw-get-inst is the recommended method for installing MinGW:

http://mingw.org/wiki/Getting_Started

"An automated GUI first time installer tool called mingw-get-inst is
currently the preferred method of installation."