Re: Emacs fullscreen and sizes in frame parameters

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Emacs fullscreen and sizes in frame parameters
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:10:59 +0200

David Engster writes:
> chad writes:
>> On 09 Jun 2013, at 02:40, David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> And yes, I'm working on X11. So I'm now back at how to choose the right
>>> font for a real fullscreen frame. I guess "5x8" should be OK for almost
>>> all common resolutions, but I can't be sure. So the question remains if
>>> I can somehow fake this... The optimum would be a fake font with 1 pixel
>>> height. :-)
>>
>> You might see if modern X11 systems still recognize the font `nil2'.
>
> Actually yes, nil2 is still there, but I cannot use it in Emacs for some
> reason. 'xterm -fn nil2' works, and I see that nil2 is an alias for
>
> -misc-nil-medium-r-normal--2-20-75-75-c-10-misc-fontspecific
>
> but Emacs tells me
>
>   'Font `nil2' is not defined'.

I've found a good replacement by using a xft font with very small
height: "Bitstream Charter" with height '20' is 1 pixel wide and 4
pixels high. Everything below 11 makes Emacs segfault with a floating
point exception (should I submit a report about this? I think there was
already one, but I cannot find it).

The only thing still bothering me is the rightmost column that is
reserved for the truncation/continuation character. I already tried
setting it to 'zero-width' through glyphless-char-display, but that does
not work. Can I somehow reclaim the rightmost column, or is this fixed?

-David