Re: Undoing yank-pop

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Undoing yank-pop
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 23:04:04 +0100

On 13 June 2013 02:43, Kelly Dean <address@hidden> wrote:
Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>I often do C-y M-y M-y ... like most of us, I think.
>Currently, if you `undo' after that, each of the M-y's are undone
>separately.
[...]
>I would suggest that undo simply undoes until before the first yank.

I agree. I think if you put an undo boundary before yank, and before any change besides yank-pop that follows yank, but don't put one before yank-pop, then when undoing and redoing, it would act like the text insertion done by the last yank-pop was the only thing that happened.

Andreas Schwab wrote:
>You can always redo if you overshot.

Yes, but having to undo through all the yank-pop events in the first place is annoying when you only did them for the purpose of reviewing the last few items on the ring, and didn't intend to leave the text inserted. And if you overshoot while doing yank-pop, you don't need undo to go back anyway, since you can use a negative arg with yank-pop (which I do so often that I have a yank-pop-rev command that does that, with a dedicated key chord bound to it)

Uh huh. IMO there should be such a keychord by default and it should be short and advertised.