Re: Interface of prog-prettification

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Interface of prog-prettification
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 11:58:48 +0200

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

> The original `perl-mode' implementation of the above said that.

Well, I haven't tried having a non-ASCII keyword and prettifying it,
but I would be very surprised if it didn't work.

> I think (as already suggested here) that an arbitrary string
> should also be supported.

Yes.

> The user is not supposed to extend it.  I had that originally IIRC but
> for simplicity we decided to make it one setting for all prog-modes.
> The assumption is that if you like to prettify lambdas as symbols, you
> won't mind it everywhere.

That's a strange assumption for an Emacs feature ;-)

> Maybe a mode load hook call to `prog-prettify-install'?  I think
> complicating the defcustom might be less user-friendly.  Suggestions
> welcome.

Do you mean a hook run from prog-prettify-install? Yes, that would work.

As for defcustom, agreed.

> Right.  I think these complications, especially the inheritance aspect,
> indicate it's better to let the user decide in the load hook than to try
> to provide it in a more complicated data structure.

Yes. Though having these variables as user options (not necessarily
defcustoms, but at the very least non-internal) would be nice.

Thanks,