Re: ELPA security

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: ELPA security
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 03:23:00 -0400

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:56:28 +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
wrote:

SJT> Stefan Monnier writes:
>> And maybe automatically eliminate an archive from that "not signed"
>> list if we ever find a signature in it.

SJT> If this is about security rather than adding to your BrightShinyThings
SJT> collection,

It's ALWAYS about bright-shiny-things, programmers are magpies :)

SJT> you should have a signed-and-verified-and-checked-for-
SJT> expired-or-revoked-on-$DATE list, and eliminate any packages from
SJT> the list if they fail any of the hyphenated conditions.

SJT> And of course you probably want $DATE to change frequently.

SJT> And the list should be signed....

I'd rather not build a certificate infrastructure ourselves.  CRLs are
especially tricky.  Trusting a maintainer signature at the archive level
and verifying it for each package when it's downloaded seems like a good
compromise for Emacs.

Ted