Re: eww

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:23:02 +0200

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> It doesn't render parts of the gdb manual very nicely.
> For example in the reverse execution node, the info looks like:

>    If you are debugging in a target environment that supports reverse
> execution, GDB provides the following commands.
>
> `reverse-continue [IGNORE-COUNT]'
> `rc [IGNORE-COUNT]'
>      Beginning at the point where your program last stopped, start
>      executing in reverse.  Reverse execution will stop for breakpoints
>      and synchronous exceptions (signals), just like normal execution.
>      Behavior of asynchronous signals depends on the target environment.

which I didn't even know existed.  :-)

I've now added support for this.

> Also, please consider the appended patch.  It makes eww pick up on
> <link> and <a rel=...> to give it a more info-ish flavor.  I'm
> interested in the possibility of replacing info with html+eww.

Supporting <link> and <a rel=> is a good idea.  The code looks good, but
here's a couple of comments:

> +(defvar eww-next-url nil)
> +(make-variable-buffer-local 'eww-next-url)
> +(defvar eww-previous-url nil)
> +(make-variable-buffer-local 'eww-previous-url)
> +(defvar eww-up-url nil)
> +(make-variable-buffer-local 'eww-up-url)
> +(defvar eww-top-url nil)
> +(make-variable-buffer-local 'eww-top-url)

I think that for package-specific variables like this we're supposed to
use

(set (make-local-variable 'eww-top-url) nil)

in the mode setup instead, so that we're not making variables needlessly
globally buffer-local.

> +(defun eww-open-file (file)
> +  (interactive "fFile: ")
> +  (let ((browse-url-browser-function #'eww-browse-url))
> +    (browse-url-of-file (expand-file-name file))))

Can't we just prepend "file://" to the file name and call `eww'
directly?

> +(defun eww-next-url ()
> +  (interactive)
> +  (if eww-next-url
> +      (eww-browse-url (shr-expand-url eww-next-url eww-current-url))
> +    (error "No `next' on this node")))

Perhaps say "page" instead of "node".