Re: eww

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:27:24 -0600

>> Info has a bunch of commands for jumping to the index and searching the
>> entire manual, etc.  Reading the HTML version of the manual will never
>> be as convenient as reading the info version.

Stefan> AFAIK, it's easy to make HTML pages which includes most/all the meta
Stefan> information that Info pages contain.  So you can then provide the "bunch
Stefan> of commands" without much trouble.

makeinfo (I'm looking at the output of makeinfo 5.0) already supplies a
link to the index, like:

<link href="Concept-Index.html#Concept-Index" rel="index" title="Concept Index">

This seems to be in every node.
So I think implementing "i" isn't too bad.

makeinfo also lets us know if the node has a menu:

So "m" and the digit arguments seem doable.

Searching seems a bit trickier.

I didn't look at issues if the HTML is in a single file rather than a
file per node.

I also didn't look at info-lookup-symbol.  Though I note that at least
the Gtk manuals use some similar markup, so moving to HTML would
potentially broaden the documentation conveniently available to Emacs
users.

Tom