Re: eww

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:56:58 -0700

On 06/18/13 16:03, Xue Fuqiao wrote:
> "texi2any --info" still use the convention of backtick ` and straight
> single quote ' to emulate curly quotes “ ” or ‘ ’.

That's not what I observe: texi2any outputs ASCII apostrophe ' for
single quotes (both left and right) and ASCII quote " for double
quotes (both left and right).  This looks OK, though admittedly
curly quotes look a bit nicer.

> Emacs itself support Unicode
> several years ago, what about replacing these characters?  At least add
> a switch to texi2any.

It might be nice to add an option to do that, but
I'm not sure I'd make it the default.  Even today, I often use Emacs
in environments that are ASCII-only, e.g., I may set LC_ALL=C to bypass
some internationalization brain damage elsewhere (a performance issue,
or a remote login issue).