Re: Inhibiting read-only

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Inhibiting read-only
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 19:09:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't see why the former would be a problem.  If you really want it
> to work, you can bind it to a command that removes the read-only
> properties.

Sure.  But why would we?  A read-only buffer is a simple and
understandable interface that gives us this already.

> As for the latter, can you elaborate about the annoyance, since
> read-only is in yank-excluded-properties?

Oh, is that a new thing?  Then that's not an annoyance (any more).

Having to re-apply properties to ensure that we still are read-only
after inserting text (modulo stickiness) is pretty annoying.

Being able to use a read-only buffer, but have some text be modifiable,
seems like a simple, obvious and symmetrical thing to do.