Re: Bzr question about moving and renaming files

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Bzr question about moving and renaming files
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 22:17:18 +0200

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:26:35 -0400 Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stephen Berman wrote:
>
>> I did a test run in my local branch, and had to use two commits:
>> first, rename calendar/todo-mode.el to obsolete/otodo-mode.el, commit
>> this, and then add the new version as calendar/todo-mode.el and commit
>> that. I had tried adding the new version before committing the rename,
>> but vc-rename-file errored with "Please update files before moving
>> them".
>
> I am sure you would get a more authoritative answer to bzr questions on
> the bzr mailing list, but it works fine for me to use one commit:
>
> mkdir /tmp/foo
> cd /tmp/foo
> bzr init
> touch foo
> bzr add foo
> bzr commit -m "c1"
> bzr mv foo bar
> touch foo
> bzr add foo
> bzr commit -m "c2"

The subject line should probably have said "VC question...", because
that's what I was using (with the bzr backend) and that's where the
problems seem to be.  I'm not able to reproduce the error I reported
above; perhaps I did something wrong before to get that.  But I still
can't rename a file and before committing that add another file with the
same name as the one before the renaming.  Here's what I did:

1. I reproduced your steps through the first `touch foo', then with
   emacs -Q called vc-dir on /tmp/foo, which showed file foo
   unregistered.
2. I typed `i' to register it, successfully, then `v' to get a log
   buffer, entered a message and typed `C-c C-c' to commit the change.
3. Then `M-x vc-rename-file foo RET bar', which also succeeded, but
   didn't commit this.
4. Then back to the shell and again `touch foo', then back to vc-dir,
   which shows:
         edited       bar (renamed from foo)
         unregistered foo
5. Now when I type `i' on foo, it fails with "vc-register: This file is
   already registered".  Only after typing `v' on file bar and
   committing the rename can I successfully type `i' on the new foo to
   register it.

Is this a known limitation of VC or a bug?

Steve Berman