Re: some progress

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: some progress
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:03:35 +0200

>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   >> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
   >> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:27:49 +0200
   >>

   >> Well the http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DisplayEngineForBiDi

   >> I am missing interactive function turning bidi on and off.

   > There isn't any.  Why would you need one?

   >> BTW where and how can I use bigger fonts for hebrew? (I am using  Laptop
   >> with a 12 inch screen and the one emacs uses per default are small)

   > Does it help to type "C-x C-+"?
Only  a little bit, the ascii chars are getting really bigger the hebrew
ones only a slightly bit. Do I need additional fonts (I am on (K)ubuntu
10.04)???

   >> (setq-default bidi-display-reordering t)

   > That is already so by default.

   >> (defun my-turn-bidi-on ()
   >> "Just start with  to R2L."
   >> (interactive)
   >> (setq  bidi-paragraph-direction 'right-to-left)
   >> (message "R2L on!"))

   > No need, Emacs determines the correct base direction of each paragraph
   > automatically, using the method described in the UAX#9.

Ok you are right. There are even nikkud!
However the input methods which are offered do no include hebrew
phonetic, by which I mean

 "aleph" is on "a" etc.

That is why I use the input via KDE and that is why I need to turn on
R2L manually.

So maybe the best solution would be to provide also hebrew-phonetical[1]
Because I am a little worried how KDE keyboard and nested text may work
together.

I can give it a try to have also a hebrew-phonetical. Which are the
files to be modified?

   > And paragraph direction has very little to do with display of
   > bidirectional text per se.  The latter works no matter what is the
   > paragraph's base direction.  If it didn't, you'd be unable to have R2L
   > text in a middle of an otherwise L2R paragraph.

   >> (defun my-turn-bidi-off ()
   >> "Just start with  to L2R."
   >> (interactive)
   >> (setq  bidi-paragraph-direction 'left-to-right)
   >> (message "R2L off!"))

   > Likewise, not needed.

Footnotes:
[1]  (BTW what is hebrew-lyx suppose to be? KDE also offers it and I cannot
see any difference to standard hebrew, ok I don't have a hebrew keyboard
here, so maybe . /  etc are different.