Re: Parallel builds with loaddefs removed

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Parallel builds with loaddefs removed
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:56:36 -0400

>> > As does just "make" with no -j.
>> Actually, no.  Just "make" might create a cl-loaddefs.el but it doesn't
>> guarantee that this file is complete, so it can still fail.
> That's even worse.  It doesn't make sense to have to bootstrap just to
> regenerate a single file.

Yet, that's how things have been with all the *-loaddefs.el files for
several years now.  You only notice it now because the "bzr rm" I do
caused your cl-loaddefs.el file to disappear, but otherwise this file
would normally never disappear except you "make bootstrap".

It's a one off transient problem, fixed by "make bootstrap", like many
other such transient problems.

Actually, you can recreate this file without bootstrapping:
"rm lisp/loaddefs.el; make" will do.  Of course, on a machine with many
CPUs, this ends up taking almost as long as a bootstrap ;-(

        Stefan