Re: some progress

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: some progress
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 12:53:36 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 21:46:08 +0200
>
> Ok, here is a patch for the phonetic keyboard.

Thanks.  A few suggestions below.

Also, if we are to accept this, we will need a copyright assignment
from you.

> + ("A" ?א)  ; Alef
> + ("B" ?ב)  ; Bet

This wastes keys, since 'a' is also mapped to aleph.  Wouldn't it make
more sense to have upper-case vowels to produce nikkud instead?  E.g.,
'A' could produce 'ַ' (u+05b7), 'E' could produce 'ֶ' (u+05b6), 'I'
could produce 'ִ', etc.  Upper-case consonants could then produce
letters with dagesh or other diacrticals, like 'בּ' for 'B' etc.

> + ("O" ?ס)  ; Samekh

It is IMO better to use 's' for samekh, 'S' for sin, and leave 'O' for
vav or perhaps even וֹ.  Also, I see no shin at all; perhaps 'w' would
be a good candidate.

> + ("R" ?ר)  ; Resh
> + ("R" ?ר)  ; Resh

Why twice?