Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 12:35:03 +0200

Il 23/06/2013 10.26, martin rudalics ha scritto:
 > When we set desktop-save-mode, we can restore all the buffers of
 > previous session.. but what about the layout (windows, frames etc.)?
 >
 > For example, suppose one is working with 4 windows (C-x 3 and then, in
 > each window, C-x 2) of different size: one window with a .c buffer, two
 > windows with .h buffers, and another with eshell.
 >
 > It would be useful, the next morning one starts Emacs, not only to
 > restore all the buffers of previous session but also all the windows
 > (and their size/position) of the previous session..
 >
 > Is this possible with current (trunk) Emacs?

In Emacs 24.3 there are two functions `window-state-get' and
`window-state-put' which can be used to do that.  The only missing part
is to write an interface to these functions when saving and restoring
the desktop.  I don't know whether anybody has done that.

If I understand, at the moment, with those (working) functions, one should each time "save" and "restore" manually the *desktop*, instead adding the missing part, all this is done when the desktop-saving is enabled... I vote for the last solution. Working with emacs would be more comfortable..

On trunk `window-state-get' was broken recently, see bug#14527.

:(

Ciao,
 Angelo.