Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:33:32 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:52:37 +0200 Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> -c
>>>   Parameters not saved by `current-window-configuration' or
>>>   `window-state-get' are left alone by `set-window-configuration'
>>>   respectively are not installed by `window-state-put'.
>>
>> No, it's just a style you are not used to.
>
> Much as I try, I fail to see how to parse that sentence, but I'm
> willing to believe it is correct. Still, I'd recommend rewriting it in
> an easier-to-parse way.
>
> (After some effort, I suppose "respectively" distributes "parameters
> not saved by c-w-c" to "left alone by s-w-c" and "or w-s-g" to "not
> installed by w-s-p". If that is a common idiom in English, is not one
> I've ever found, so my recommendation still stands.)

A more idiomatic, though to my ear still stilted, phasing would be:

   Parameters not saved by `current-window-configuration' or
   `window-state-get' are respectively left alone by
   `set-window-configuration' or not installed by `window-state-put'.

A more straightforward, though wordier formulation is:

   Parameters not saved by `current-window-configuration' are left alone
   by `set-window-configuration' and parameters not saved by
   `window-state-get' are not installed by `window-state-put'.

Steve Berman