Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests and no external ta

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests and no external tar!
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 03:38:49 +0400

On 21.06.2013 18:56, Stefan Monnier wrote:
AFAICT, you've omitted the whole "automated testing" part of the
changes, which was one of the main things I liked personally.

I indeed focused on the package.el part itself, since that was the
problematic part (where there was no clear description of what the
patch was trying to do).

Any particular reason?

No, oversight only.  Feel free to add it.

Just an update, I've tried to bring the tests over today, but they're quite dependent on the implementation.

I still have 6/10 failures, so far.

One thing I've noticed that you omitted is the inclusion of the "commentary" field in the package-desc struct.

Not sure what the justification for its inclusion was, but I've had to remove the related assertions from the test file.

Daniel:

One thing I definitely didn't like is the usage of raw cl-struct vectors as reference values to compare against. These are implementation details of cl-defstruct, and we have no business setting them in stone in a test suite for code that just uses defstruct.

Relying on an external program (ginstall-info) is also not nice, for the usual alternative-OS-related reasons.