Re: call for more ert tests

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: call for more ert tests
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 00:29:19 +0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> The fact that the "correct" results change with development is a fact
> of life in every project, not just in Emacs.  It is detected very
> simply, when the test fails.  Then you analyze the failure, understand
> that the expected results are wrong, and modify them to follow suit.
> Case closed.

> If you don't have good test coverage, you cannot regress-test, so you
> can never be sure that a change you just made doesn't break something.
> It's as simple as that, and I'm sure you know it.

+1 on both counts.

I do believe that some packages and pieces of code may be exempt from
requiring tests, like code affecting how things look (don't need to go
far for examples), and select new packages with active maintainers,
where the code and features change a lot.

Requiring tests to accompany most "functional" bugfixes would be a solid
principle, though.

But anyway, all of that comes second to having an unbroken suite of
current tests, working integration server and email notifications for
committers who break tests.