Re: eww

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 01:11:13 +0200

I've now implemented a version of the history that I think might make
sense, and I've done it by stashing the rendered data in a variable, not
by renaming buffers.

There's now no re-rendering when traversing the history.

The main thing I had to figure out was how to handle back/forth history
movements.  Let me explain.

Here's how Firefox does it:

You're on page A, go to page B, go back to A, go to C.  Back will then
take you to A, and there the history stops.  Going forward will only
take you to C, never to B, which is now inaccessible, as far as I can
tell.

That's supremely annoying, so here's how eww does it:

You're on page A, go to page B, go back to A, go to C.  Back goes to A.
Back again goes to B.  Back again goes to A.  Forward to B, forward to
A, forward to C.  Etc.  If I've implemented it correctly.

So Firefox lets you explore the branch of the tree you're in, and other
branches are cut off, while eww gives you a strict, er, temporal, flat
view of history, so all parts of the history are accessible.