Re: filenotify.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: filenotify.el
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:40:11 +0200

Rüdiger Sonderfeld <address@hidden> writes:

> One minor nitpick I forgot:  You should use two hyphens for functions which
> are not meant to be used by the user.

Ahh. This is a rather new coding style in Emacs; it didn't even find
its way into the Lisp Refefence Manual yet :-)

But it's useful; I'll apply.

>  I guess this should also include `file-notify--handle-event'.

Don't know. I'm not decided yet whether to use this function also in
Tramp.

>> Really? I don't see a serious difference between (featurep 'inotify) and
>> (eq file-notify-support 'inotify)
>
> This would of course only make sense if the support isn't exclusive.

OK, so I set it to the used package symbol. But it must be documented
clearly, that this is applied for *local* file systems only; Tramp will use
a different implementation very likely.

Later, when there are several low-level file notification packages
linked to Emacs in parallel, we could change `file-notify-support' into
a defcustom. The user could decide which of the packages to use.

Maybe we shall give it another name for that purpose.

>> I believe, that the callback function needs special care from the
>> callee. In `auto-revert-notify-handler', I wrap the sensitive code by
>> `ignore-errors'. For example.
>
> But this error couldn't be handled by `ignore-errors' because it happens
> before the callback is called.  Or am I misunderstanding you?

Where shall this happen? In `file-notify-handle-event'? This function
does not depend on a registered file watcher.

> Regards
> Rüdiger

Best regards, Michael.