Re: Question about handling file deletion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Question about handling file deletion
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:33:19 -0400

> in the new version of todo-mode.el (see bug#14688).  If someone deletes
> a todo file using e.g. Dired and then gets an error in Todo mode and
> reports it as a bug, is it kosher for me reply "If it hurts, don't do
> that.  Use todo-delete-file." and close the bug?  (That command doesn't

There's no rule, but usually it's OK for Emacs to misbehave slightly in
such circumstances, tho it's also usually he case that Emacs tries to
handle such cases gracefully.

IOW it depends: should it be obvious to the user that just "rm"ing the
file will lead to an error?
E.g. can she still see a reference to the file somewhere else)?  If the
remaining ("dangling") reference to the lost file is not shown to the
user, than Emacs should work harder to try and handle the
disappearance seamlessly.

        Stefan