Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 09:07:24 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 01:33:17 +0200
> Cc: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       Stephen Berman <address@hidden>, Jambunathan K <address@hidden>
>
> 1.- Is there a way to check from Emacs wheter a given DISPLAY is accessible?

If the experts say there isn't, I'd say catch errors from
make-frame-on-display, display a warning, and be done.

> 2.- It is acceptable on POSIX systems to try to create X frames if
> emacs was started with -nw?

I won't like that, FWIW.

> 3.- On Windows, after "emacs -nw", creating w32 frames is a no-no.
> What is the "correct" or "elegant" way to detect that? Is there
> something better than
>
>     (and (eq system-type 'windows-nt) (not window-system))

You could use display-graphic-p, of course.

> 4.- What about the MS-DOS port? Does it support more than one frame?

Yes, it does, like any TTY session: all the frames occupy the same
screen space, and only one of them is visible at any given time.