Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:06:22 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 14:05:32 +0200
> Cc: Jan Djärv <address@hidden>,
>       Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>,
>       Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       Stephen Berman <address@hidden>, Jambunathan K <address@hidden>
>
> We do not *want* to restore the sizes, we *must* restore the sizes.
> Otherwise, if I have a frame with lots & lots of tiny windows and I
> try to restore it in a default-sized frame, restoring will fail for
> lack of space or for trying to bypass the safe minimum width/height.
> And that's exactly the kind of frame I would be pretty pissed off to
> have to rebuild by hand because s&r failed...

Restoring the session is not supposed to be 100% reliable.  It can't.
The existing code already fails to restore some buffers, if their
files disappeared, for example.  You should do the same with windows
and frames: make a good-faith effort to restore them, and if you
can't, display a message and move on.

> As I said in a previous message, "some cases" = "all cases" for me. If
> people wants to allow that to be customizable, fine, we can add such
> an option.

It's not about being customizable, it's about avoiding the "perfect"
solution (which doesn't exist).