Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:22:38 +0200

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Restoring the session is not supposed to be 100% reliable.  It can't.

Of course.

> You should do the same with windows
> and frames: make a good-faith effort to restore them, and if you
> can't, display a message and move on.

Agreed. And trying to make them the same width / height / position is
a good-faith effort. Trying to do less is not good-faith, it's just
sloppy.

> It's not about being customizable, it's about avoiding the "perfect"
> solution (which doesn't exist).

Sorry, no. I'm not trying to find the perfect solution; if I were, I
wouldn't have committed the current code, which is far from perfect.
It's about trying to find ways to satisfy most users, for some value
of "most" preferably >= 90%. So in the end, whether you think that
restoring the size *and* position is necessary or not (to the extent
that is is *possible* in the first place, of course) is really a
matter of opinion and taste, and so, customization.