Re: How to restore the layout?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:03:34 +0200

> Maximized/fullscreen frames should be created with the corresponding
> frame parameter, and don't try to first create them where there where
> in their un-maximized/un-fullscreen state and then make them
> maximized/fullscreen.  I don't know if it is different on W32, but
> maximized/fullscreen is not about setting some size, it is about
> setting a state.  The window manager sets the size.  So if I saved a
> maximized frame on a small monitor, it will be maximized when i
> restore the desktop on a larger monitor.  The window manager takes
> care of it, Emacs does not need to emulate a window manager.

Let me try to recapitulate: The problem is what to do when saving and
restoring a maximized frame.  We can't get the location/size it had
before maximizing it easily, so Juanma's proposal goes as follows.

(1) Create the frame _ignoring_ the saved size/location related frame
    parameters.

(2) Ask the window manager to maximize the frame.

When the user now demaximizes the frame, it will appear at its default
location with a default size.  Does this match what you stated above?

martin