Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:22:40 +0200

Hi.

28 jun 2013 kl. 16:03 skrev martin rudalics <address@hidden>:

> > I see no need for anything as complicated as this.  Just restore each
> > frame to their recorder size if possible, and let it have some other
> > size (determined by the window manager) if not.
>
> This would mean that a maximized frame occupies the entire screen after
> it has been demaximized.

This is not true for many X window managers.  It will take the user or program
size, specified at startup, and demaximize to that.  Emacs sets the program
size to the size in the frame parameters when creating a frame.

So when I do:

(make-frame '((fullscreen . maximized)))

and de-maximize it, it comes out as a frame with geometry 80x32.  Of course,
the position is whatever the WM chooses.  This is not a formal protocol of how
window managers should behave, but many do it like this.

        Jan D.