Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 04:47:18 -0400

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yes.  So I guess you have to implement a smallish window manager to
>> get this right, i.e. handle resolution that differs from the one
>> saved, when previous visible frames vould now be invisible, handle
>> frames that spanned multiple monitors, but those monitors anre no
>> longer available, and so on.  This is a hard problem.
>
> Indeed.  In a first step, the desktop changes will mostly address people
> who resume a session on one and the same machine.  When machines differ,
> all sort of things may have to be adapted.

I would prefer the restore operation to abort with a message "saved info
is for a different display configuration".

The next step would be to keep several saved configurations, and present
a menu of which one to restore (one for laptop only, one for laptop plus
home monitor, one for work monitor).

However, it is not easy to detect the monitor setup. On MS windows,
laptop + monitor is just one big display, and you can have windows at
negative positions (which breaks all kinds of assumptions!).

--
-- Stephe