Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 21:45:15 +0100

>     So it would be a little unfair to just pinch the name?
>
> Making things easy for users must take priority.  We cannot regard a
> name as somehow "occupied" by code that we don't somehow distribute or
> recommend.
>
> Even if we did somehow distribute or recommend that code, we might
> still want to use that name for something else.  Making Emacs
> good for users is they point.

I agree with this.

But there is also the question of encouraging users (like me) to
contribute to the large available code.

If you consider Emacs to be successful just because of the code included
in the distribution that would seem to me to be a rather restricted of
things.

Simple alternative entry commands for an Emacs browser are easy to come
up with:

browse-web

open-web

even web-open would not interfere with my package.

Having said that I agree that the word "web" is important and probably
should be reserved in some way by Emacs.

I'd be more than happy to contribute my web library to Emacs. In summary
it is a simpler programming API of what the current url offers as an
HTTP library which offering more complex functionality (like streaming).

Nic