Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 09:56:47 +0200

Hello.

30 jun 2013 kl. 01:30 skrev Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden>:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>    I already have an HTTP client called web.
>>
>>    So it would be a little unfair to just pinch the name?
>>
>> Making things easy for users must take priority.
>
> Well, we can do many things that can make (most) users easy.  For
> example:
>
> * Turn on cua-mode by default

This user would hate that.

> * Add a "redo" command

Might be nice.

> * Change the terminology of “kill” to “cut”, and “yank” to “paste”

But kill is strictly not the same as cut, and yank is not the same as paste.

> * Switch the terminology of “window” and “frame”

Should reduce some confusion.

> * Change the terminology of “car” to “first”, and “cdr” to “rest”

Not sure many users care.  Most users don't program lisp.

> But we can't, since many of them will break existing users'
> configuration.  Although eww doesn't have this problem, I think we
> should think twice before "making things easy for users".

Also, what is easy for one user is a pain for another.  Not all you suggestions
are even obviously easier for a user.

        Jan D.