Re: How to restore the layout?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 14:55:12 +0200

> Sorry, you lost me here. I proposed turning desktop-save-windows into
> a multi-valued custom, and you agreed. I suppose that means you
> changed your mind?

I'm still uncertain what would be best.

> Also, you proposed to rename the option to desktop-restore-frames,
> and/or do you propose now to reserve that name for the
> "display/monitors" option you're suggesting?
>
> I'm not arguing for/against anything, just trying to understand what
> is being suggested, exactly.

I'd vote for one basic option called `desktop-restore-frames' because
I'd probably always save windows and frames (virtually everything that
could be useful) and leave it to the restoration routine to decide
whether and which items shall be restored.  This option should be
boolean in order to not confuse users too much and I would probably turn
it on by default.

Other options should be added when we see that we need them.  Two
candidates we have discussed so far are what I would call
`desktop-restore-frame-positions' where possible values are to do that
as accurately as possible (with the potential for failure) and less
accurately, leaving the decision mainly to the window manager.  The
other option would be something like `desktop-restore-frame-displays' to
specify whether we should try to restore frames on multiple monitors and
the like.

But I have no really strong opinion and preferably leave the decision to
you.

martin