Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: chad
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:53:53 -0700

There's a lot of debate about respecting developers, making things
easier for users, and preserving the fun of quirky names here, but
it seems to me that most of it might be missing the goal in favor
of arguing about potential details (and potential details of
potentially related but different topics).

Richard's goal (as I understand it) is making sure that users can
find important features in Emacs, not to enshrine or take over any
particular piece of code. For browsing the web inside emacs, there
are at least 4 packages: emacs-w3, emacs-w3m, emacs-web, and now/soon
Lars' new eww. These are all more and less hidden from straightforward
user behavior like `look through the menus', `try obvious command
names' and `internet search engine'.

I think most of us agree that emacs should have an easily-guessable
and -remembered command name for this functionality, and that `M-x
eww' might not  be it. This doesn't mean that we need to rename any
of the four packages above, but rather that we need to provide an
intuitive entry point. Emacs itself already provides such an entry
point, in browse-url.

We should make sure that browse-url works with eww - this is already
being done.

We might also want to discuss whether or not `M-x browse-url' is
itself the best choice of name for an intuitive entry point.

We should add a menu-bar entry for whatever name we decide to use
for browse-url above.

I hope this helps,
~Chad