Re: "make autoloads" fails

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "make autoloads" fails
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:20:45 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
> Cc: Jambunathan K <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 20:29:34 +0200
>
> Another annoyance. My actual emacs24 is in prefix=/opt/emacs24
>
> However even choosing
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/emacs24
>
> Make
>
> I obtain the following error
>
> Warning: arch-independent data dir
> `/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/etc/': No such file or directory
> Error: charsets directory not found:

Let's slow down.  The commands you should invoke are, in order:

  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure --prefix=...
  make bootstrap

("make bootstrap" because you already tried to build and failed, so
something is not clean in that directory.)

Also, what do you mean by "my actual emacs24 is in
prefix=/opt/emacs24" -- is that where you want to install Emacs after
building, or is that where the sources are?

> Why the hack is he looking in /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50

Probably because you built it incorrectly.  Did you also invoke "make
install"?

> And by the way does he suppose there is already a working GNU emacs
> installation?

No.