Re: How to restore the layout?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 11:27:28 +0200

> This is intended to be run before desktop--save-frames, I suppose?

Yes, because it installs a frame parameter that should get saved by
desktop--save-frames.

> I'm seeing a frame height problem on Windows 7 with side-aligned
> frames (=> the ones you get by typing Windows + Left or Windows +
> Right).
>
> With a minimal .emacs, containing:
>
> (desktop-save-mode 1)
> (setq desktop-restore-frames t)
>
> then
>
> emacs
> W-left
> C-x 5 2
> W-right
> ;;; at this point, both frames height's are 65 lines
> C-x 5 o
> C-x C-c
> emacs
> ;;; now left frame's height is 65 lines, right frame's height is 68;
> its top is also a bit higher

3 lines reserved for the toolbar, obviously.

> Comparing the saved state before & after, there only differences are
> the height and top parameters of the second frame, and obviously the
> total-height in the window-state. Whatever happens, happens when
> creating a new frame with (make-frame-on-display display saved-state).
>
> If you add
>
> (setq default-frame-alist '((tool-bar-lines . 0)))
>
> to .emacs, it doesn't happen anymore. ISTR some old bug report about this
>
> Any idea how to fix that?

No.  In a `fit-frame-to-buffer' function you find in my window.el I use
a workaround with a comment going as

             ;; When tool-bar-mode is enabled and we just created a new
             ;; frame, reserve lines for toolbar resizing.  Needed
             ;; because for reasons unknown to me Emacs (1) reserves one
             ;; line for the toolbar when making the initial frame and
             ;; toolbars are enabled, and (2) later adds the remaining
             ;; lines needed.  Our code runs IN BETWEEN (1) and (2).
             ;; YMMV when you're on a system that behaves differently.

So this is still an unsolved mystery, probably to straighten out
differences with external toolbar implementations.  I can look into it
again but do not expect too much.  Drew should have experienece with
this problem as well.

martin