Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 21:51:39 -0400

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 20:06:02 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

RS>             Most users just want to enter a URL and browse it.  So my
RS>     main suggestion is to make `C-x C-f' on a URL open a web browser like
RS>     `eww', or call `browse-url', or do something like that.

RS> This would be a convenient interface.  We just have to solve the
RS> problem of ambiguity: a file name can look like a URL.  We could make
RS> some way to indicate it is a file name -- perhaps some way to quote
RS> the colon that would follow the URL type.

I think it's pretty easy to tell a URL (we already do that in many
packages), and the user can always use `find-file-literally'.  So I
think this is not going to be a problem and doesn't require any special
treatment.  Just in case we could check if there is a file named the
same as the URL, since a stat call is cheap.  But otherwise this should
be DWIM for the users.

Ted