RE: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 14:58:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Mathias,

> When my `tumme' (now `image-dired') package was added to Emacs many
> moons ago, the question about its name came up. Since I was the
> author and the one who had picked the name ("tumme" means thumb, in
> Swedish, so it was a good name for a package aimed at working with
> image thumbnails),

So you explicitly chose a name that had a meaning related to what
the package and its commands are for.

> and it also had been used by people for a while, I felt... something
> (a small disturbance in the force, maybe)... when the name change
> came up.

Understandable.

> However, the arguments back then was about the same as now; it is
> beneficial if users can find commands by guessing

Which was the same principle you applied, using "thumb" instead of
"image".  It's just that your version of "thumb" was a Swedish one.

> and it was reasonable to assume that someone might try typing
> "image" to see what nice commands there might exist for working
> with images.

Yes, "image" is good, as is "thumb".  Depends what to put the emphasis
on, since `image-dired' can do more than show thumbnail images.  But
either is helpful, IMO.  And "tumme" is less helpful than either,
unless one understands Swedish.

> ... So, that was my little insignificant story...

Not so insignificant - a couple of lessons there, I think.