Re: x-display-pixel-width/height inconsistency

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: x-display-pixel-width/height inconsistency
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 00:32:10 +0200

> On Windows frame and client rectangle include the toolbar.  So I'm not
> sure how to generalize this conveniently.

Oh.

Anyway, backtracking a bit in this thread... We were talking about
multi-monitors and client sizes, etc. because someone proposed to
automatically detect when desktop is restoring frames in a different
display/monitor configuration and make sure that the frames were
visible.

But, OTOH, it is entirely possible that the user is saving the desktop
with some frames only partially visible. If you have many, and some of
them are less used, you can set them aside so only a fraction of the
frame is shown, which makes them accessible without taking too much
screen space. So, IMO, the only thing that makes sense is to
move/resize a frame while restoring when that frame is entirely
outside the current viewing area. Or, perhaps, when the caption is
(because in many/most/all? window managers, you can mouse-drag a
window only from its caption).

Of course, there's no way to know the caption height (in pixels) from
inside Emacs, I think, so in the end it's all an ugly heuristics: the
top of the frame is some arbitrary number of pixels inside the viewing
area. Or is there a better way?