Re: x-display-pixel-width/height inconsistency

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: x-display-pixel-width/height inconsistency
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 13:25:30 +0200

Hello.

You said:

> So, IMO, the only thing that makes sense is to
> move/resize a frame while restoring when that frame is entirely
> outside the current viewing area. Or, perhaps, when the caption is
> (because in many/most/all? window managers, you can mouse-drag a
> window only from its caption).
>
> Of course, there's no way to know the caption height (in pixels) from
> inside Emacs, I think, so in the end it's all an ugly heuristics: the
> top of the frame is some arbitrary number of pixels inside the viewing
> area. Or is there a better way?

You don't need "some arbitrary number of pixels".  As I outlined before, if
top/left is inside, put the frame there, otherwise put it at some default
position.
Another possibility is that the display-monitor-attributes-list includes a list
of all frame belonging to a particular monitor.  If that monitor is still
available, restore the frame there, otherwise not.

        Jan D.