Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Small improvements to ruby-mode
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 18:15:28 +0400

On 05.07.2013 17:01, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
I thought the manual installation instructions were leftovers from the
old ruby-mode. I was under the impression that since ruby-mode started
using SMIE it's not a good idea to distribute it separately, since it
might not behave appropriately on older Emacsen. Perhaps I'm wrong.

SMIE is the way forward, but it still needs work, and it's disabled by default. Patches welcome, by the way.

ruby-mode doesn't run on older Emacsen, but it's not hard to fix. Since earlier versions distributed via Marmalade and Tromey's archive seem to cause problems, perhaps we should make an effort and upload the current version to Marmalade, at least once. It stable enough, I think.

That's unfortunate. Files with tabs look like Christmas trees for most
whitespace-mode users.

Tabs are colored with whitish-yellow for me, which is the default whitespace-tab face. Noticeable, but not critical.

Yes, I have - but I really feel that this is something that should be
handled by ruby-mode itself. After all around 90% of all ruby hackers
have to deal with yard and rdoc. It's better to have core functionality
built-in.

We should contact Kyle, then, for the copyright assignment. Or, again, patches welcome. :)

        * make use of `font-lock-negation-char-face` for !

    Uh, okay. Is it different from the default face, in any themes?

If more modes were actually using it more themes would have customised
it. I can assure you that zenburn and solarized will support it :-)

Any idea how you're going to make it look?