Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 15:27:27 +0200

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 22:03:08 +0200, David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:
> David Engster writes:
>>> AFAICS in `nnimap-retrieve-group-data-early', the resync should only
>>> happen when there's either no 'active', 'unexist', or
>>> 'uidvalidity'. Perhaps the first step should be to install some verbose
>>> messaging which says which of those triggers the resync.
>>
>> Never mind; I can reproduce it with my Gmail account. I'll try to debug
>> this.
>
> It was just one bogus group called '[Google Mail]' which for some reason
> was auto-subscribed but does not really exist on the server. Otherwise,
> I cannot see that real groups get constantly recynced.
>
> So the question remains whether this only happens upon Gnus startup; if
> so, it seems that not all information gets properly saved in newsrc.eld.

In the Gnus version of the emacs-24 branch this happens with the bogus
'[Gmail]' group which Gmail advertizes too.  It doesn't exist as a
group, so every time Gnus tries to do an 'initial sync'.  I solved that
a few days ago by actually *creating* a group called ['Gmail]' from
within Gnus and then setting it to 'show only if unread' in Gmail's web
interface.  Since it's a valid group now, Gnus doesn't do an 'initial'
sync for this group every time it starts.

In the trunk of Emacs, Gnus does an 'initial sync' for all groups, so I
suspect something is not saved properly in .newsrc.eld.